I got asked on Instagram how I deal with distractions, and I want to share my answer here with you as well.
But first – what is a distraction
A distraction is everything that keeps you from doing what you’ve planned to do or what would matter most.
- the notification that keeps you from working
- checking social media while on a dinner date
- doing busy tasks instead of the ones that would move the needle
So yes, checking your emails can be a distraction as well when you should focus on getting an important project done.
How I deal with distractions
I know what’s distracting me
Make a list of all the things that are distracting you.
For me, these are:
- Instagram & TikTok
- my husband coming into my office
- random thoughts & ideas coming up
How I deal with these distractions
Come up with a plan to deal with these distractions.
- I don’t have notifications on for emails.
- I check my emails before a focused work session, so I don’t feel the urge to check them while working.
- Then I close my inbox.
Instagram & TikTok
- I have all social media notifications turned off.
- I scroll on IG and TikTok for about 10 – 15 minutes before I start working. Again – this helps me to not feel like I have to check them while working.
My husband coming into my office
Here communication is key. When I need time to focus, I let him know in advance.
Random thoughts & ideas coming up
What works best for me here is to have a journal by my side and write everything down. It’s out of my head and I can return to it later.
Know what is distracting you from work and prepare in advance.
It’s not about not giving in to distractions. It’s more about timing them.
Your Focus Checklist
Here’s a checklist to help you prepare for a focused work session.
- define a specific task you’ll work on
- put away your phone
- close all browser tabs you don’t need
- put away everything you don’t need
- prepare everything you’ll need
- have water, coffee, and snacks at hand
- go time
I hope this is helpful. If you have any questions, you can always DM me on Instagram.