I love planning.
At the end of each month, I take a couple of hours to sit down and think about my next month.
- What do I want to make happen?
- What do I want to focus on?
I like to make this a fun and relaxed process – preferably on the couch with coffee and muffins.
My monthly planning process can take a couple of hours (especially step 4), so take your time and let’s do this!
Step 1: Define your areas of focus
Think about which areas of your business and personal life you want to focus on the next month. Choose 3 – 4 areas and make sure to include at least one personal area.
- Business: money, education, growing audience, …
- Personal: mental/physical health, relationships, …
I typically set goals in these 5 areas:
- Physical health
- Mental health
- Audience growth
Step 2: Set 1 – 5 goals for each area
Then set 1 – 5 goals for each area. This can be small things like drinking enough water or big projects like creating an online course.
For my areas, this could look like this:
- Physical health: Movement 5x / week
- Mental health: 3 feel-good activities each day
- Education: 30 minutes of education 5x / week
- Audience growth: 1 collaboration
- Business: create an online course
- Business: sell 3 spots for my 1:1 coaching
For my mental and physical health, I like to set broad goals.
My goal is not to run 5x a week. My goal is to move my body 5x week.
My goal is not to meditate every day. My goal is to do 3 feel-good activities each day.
I have a list of activities that make me feel good and pick from this list whatever feels right that day.
Step 3: What tools and/or systems do you need to make it happen?
Then I think about which tool and/or systems you need to support you with this goal. What do you need to make it happen?
This can be things like:
- Habits/goals tracker
- Scheduling it in your calendar
- Setting reminders
- Creating a project in my task management tool
Step 4: Set up the tools/systems
The final step is to actually set up the tools and systems you need.
→ Create the habits/goals tracker
→ Set the reminders
→ Schedule the time in your calendar
→ Create the project in your task management tool
In case you want to see a short video of me guiding through my monthly planning process, you can do so here: